The idea of twelve tribes has been described as late Judahite (i.e. Jacobs 12 sons (order of birth) Leah Rachel Zilpah Leahs maid Bilhah Rachels maid 1. All rights reserved. When Jacob (Israel) was about to die, he called his 12 sons to his side to tell them what would happen in days to come (Genesis 49:1). Even though he was heavily hated and persecuted by his brothers, he never gave in, his obedience remained unaffected and he continued to trust God even during the darkest days of his life, when his brothers plotted to murder him and then sold him into slavery. With our finite human understanding, we cant comprehend what was going on in Gods mind when He chose Jacobs sons to form the tribes of Israel. These two brothers are best known for avenging the rape of their sister, Dinah (Genesis 34:25). The sons of Jacob in order of birth (and to whom) are as follows: Leah gives birth to (1) Reuben, (2) Simeon, (3) Levi, and (4) Judah. We are going to spend most of our time talking about Jacob and his family today because through Abraham to Jacob, Jesus was born. Jacob, son of Isaac and grandson of Abraham, who was renamed 6 Then Rachel said, God has vindicated me! Isaac was the one and only rightful heir to the promise (Genesis 15:4-5; 25:5). 18 Just before she died, Rachel called her sons name Ben-oni, but his father Jacob named him Benjamin. For New Testament believers, this is picture of the patient and hard-working believer who labors daily to conform to Jesus and walk in His righteousness. THE SONS OF JACOB. a fruitful vine planted near springs of water. In his struggles, he remained strong thanks to God who fortified him. A great and mighty people as God had promised Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The sons went on to found the Twelve Tribes of Israel except that Levi was not included in that list and in place of Joseph were his two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim, thereby keeping a full twelve. 5 0 obj 9. 19; 20). Lisa and her husband, Stephen, a pastor, live in a small Ohio village with their crazy cat, Lewis. Laban, craftier than Jacob, promised him Rachel, but because tradition dictated the younger was not given before the eldest daughter, he tricked Jacob and sent Leah to him on his wedding night. 20 Jacob erected a pillar over her grave, and that pillar stands over Rachels grave to this day. Despite God's promise, Sarah, Abraham's wife, remained childless well into her old age. It did not pass to Simeon either. Title: The 12 Sons of Jacob.pmd Author: Dr. Donnie S. Barnes Created Date: 5. Exodus 39:6 They mounted the onyx stones in gold filigree settings, engraved like a seal with the names of the . The sons are in order of which mother produced them. Although very little is mentioned about these men inScripture, their tribes are far from obscure. But thank God, His promises always prevail. Jacob loves Joseph, the firstborn of the sons from his beloved Rachel, more than the others. A Seafaring Man as Blessed by His Father - A Harbor for Ships, Jacob's Favored Son (first son of Leah). At the end of Jacobs life, when the time came to bless all his children and prophesy about their futures, Reubens portion was an indictment of his sin. They then claimed all the cattle, women, and children from the village as plunder (Genesis 34). Jacob had twelve sons, the firstborn of whom was Reuben. 11. When Rueben was born, she thought surely this baby would be the son of blessing (Genesis 29:32). Reuben: the name means see a son - Whose mother was Leah. Looking at what the Bible says, we can conclude 12 is simply the number God chose. Judah (Judahs name sounds like the Hebrew word, praise)received this blessing: Judah, yourbrothersshallpraiseyou; your hand shall be on the neck of your enemies; your fathers sons shall bow down before you. Issachar and Zebulon:After Leah struck a bargain with Rachel, and won an extra night with Jacob (Genesis 30:15-16) she bore Issachar, then later Zebulon. The description of the borders does not refer to the actual boundaries of his tribe, but to where the tribe might have roamed for the purpose of buying and selling. She writes fiction and nonfiction. The account of the birth of Jacob's children is found in Genesis 2930, 35. Symbols of the twelve Tribes of Israel. If the day on the sacred calendar is not a holy day, then it is indicated at a dash (). ]G>cMN+C_[+u1B6>}q"}7|3Z_}[Tgm{Th_e|89__^eH48B HH~qvi(KeM9wT$}=&12==c[s^Cx#}t~q4_ 8/{;p[9 93XgQo2$o. 846 followers. Then Rachel gives Bilhah, her servant girl to Jacob, so that she may give birth on my behalf (Genesis 30:3). Genesis 30:21. <> 3) Levi was the . Very few seasoned Christians are not familiar with Josephs dreams, his dealings with his jealous brothers, and the subsequent tragedy that turned triumph when he was sold into slavery then later rescued all of Israel from death by famine (Genesis 37-43). Jacob's 12 sons (order of birth) Leah Rachel Zilpah Leah's maid Bilhah Rachel's maid 1. Their faces were the faces of lions, and they were as swift as gazelles in the mountains (1 Chronicles 12:9). 2. 10 The scepter will never depart from Judah. But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your ancestors that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt (Deuteronomy 7:7,8). As a result, his blessing went to Josephs two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh.). Shechem then begged his father to get her for him as a wife. The 12 Tribes of Israel descended from the patriarch Theirs is the adoption to sonship; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. It Is So Painful to Care: How Do I Conquer Apathy? This list includes the twelve original sons of Jacob. 18 Then Leah said, God has paid me for giving my servant to my husband as his wife. So she named him Issachar. Years later in Egypt, when Jacob was about to die, he called his twelve sons to his side. For New Testament believers, this is picture of all those who were bought by the blood of the Lamb and redeemed to be firstborn, but defiled their Heavenly Father by their spiritual harlotry. Then she stopped bearing children. Professor Pieixoto describes the Sons of Jacob as "top-secret Think Tank". The Haran controversy wrestles with the question of how long Abraham's grandson Jacob lived in Haran. The notable 12s list starts with the 12 sons of Jacob who became the 12 tribes of Israel and ends with 12 kinds of fruit on the tree of life(Revelation 22:2). In addition to writing for the Salem Web Network, Lisa serves as a Word Weavers mentor and is part of a critique group. Leah also bore Jacob a daughter called Dinah. Like Sarah, she was barren and later conceived, becoming pregnant with twins. His testament was a prophecy of hope to strengthen believers of all times, to let them know that God will indeed be victorious in the end and triumph over His enemies. Jacob should not have had more than one wife.) Father of the Levitical Priests, Apparent Leader of the Slaughter of the Circumcized Men (Gen 34:30) Jacob called him a violent man, along with Simeon. 21 Jacob continued his travels, and eventually pitched his tent facing Migdal Eder. Joseph 7. 29:31 Later, the LORD noticed that Leah was being neglected, so he made her fertile, while Rachel remained childless. 19 So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrathah, also known as Bethlehem. 35 Then she conceived yet again, bore a son, and said, This time Ill praise the LORD. So she named him Judah. With so many jockeying for position within this household of four women . Judah then told his son Onan to marry Tamar so that there would be an heir. Zebulun, Zilpah (Leah's maid), mother of: Gad, Asher, Bilhah (Rachel's maid), mother of: Dan, Naphtali. Leah's third son was named Levi "Because I have born him three sons.". All rights reserved. They agreed, and on the third day after undergoing the ritual, while they were in pain and incapacitated, Simeon and Levi went to the city and killed every single male, and brought Dinah back home. 1) Reuben was Jacobs firstborn. Elkannah had two women but again, one of them was barren so I suspect that Peninah was a concubine. Reuben convinced his brothers not to kill Joseph (Genesis 37:21) and planned on rescuing Joseph, but the brothers sold him before he had the chance. The story of Jacob (Israel) takes up a huge chunk of Genesis (Genesis 25:26-50:21). In fact, the territory assigned to the tribe of Asher was bordering that of Zebulun and Asher is one of the two tribes of Israel, the other being Dan, associated with seafaring and, by implication, see commerce in the Song of Deborah (Judges 5:17). She became pregnant, and gave birth to . Simeons and Levis tribes were scattered because of their willful massacre of the men of Shechem. Simeon: the name means one who hears - Whose mother was Leah. After this, Leah again conceived (twice) and gave birth to (9) Issachar and (10) Zebulun. Joseph 7. God loves His children and keeps His promises to them, not because they deserve His favor, but because God is good, faithful, and true to His word. 2. Only the numbers three (388 times in 343 verses in the ESV), seven (373 times in 312 verses in the ESV), and one (as seen in John 10:30: 345 times in 288 verses in the ESV) are recorded more. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. % Its an association that harkens back to Gods covenant with His chosen people. To Dan, Jacob said that he would "judge" Israel, and his tribe indeed was righteous for a time and "judged" in the Promised Land. Jacob had a total of twelve sons born to him, in a definite order. She told Jacob, "Here is my maid Bilhah. Two of Jacobs sonsLevi and Josephare not listed among the tribes of Israel with their brothers. Joseph - Add to my family. Her debut childrens book, What Is A Family? ***Note: Jacob and Leah also had a daughter named Dinah (Gen 30:21). *Click on Open button to open and print to worksheet. Rebekah was chosen as a wife for Isaac (Genesis 24). Twin Flames because one individual is the male and the other female, they come together to make one soul. Asher 6. 15 So Jacob went down to Egypt; and he died, he and our fathers. Displaying all worksheets related to - Jacob And 12 Sons. x]q&voUBD(SdxvbDhfgVo@CPO>N/O?~ji}u9y?IG#d+Rb)[YuHkY6ISYW["\f+4GiDpw|?+Kz7PVki{q]Quo/|;bT_~o_>}_?_wr~Psa$R>\^~L'lX^~o`uwLgKn:Lb7~?W_GzWyzY_Z^}mf_ns=+ZZ)*o{/QuQ7e::e?9rEkbQ*Q#*ubmWKq}[e:27}ZPXW)*G*3Q_=m?|ff)e;Z^^BLr6 7`?}-j;$n:?r?sWG_h@JljA~ojeziGNia5k,8|H0/~"u]G/R]+:2i|:z .k;=CJG+|~ Then, all of the brothers returned and plundered the city, taking everything of value with them. These children are the offspring of four different women, . Simeon 12. 9 The sons of Reuben were Hanoch, Pallu, Hezron, and Carmi. Never had God bestowed such a blessing of honor upon man. Jacob had only eleven sons born to him before he left Laban in Paddan Aram e.g. Copyright JesusAlive.cc All rights reserved. "These are the names of Ishmael's sons in order of their birth", records the Torah in this week's portion, Chayei Sarah, and it goes on to list them in three groups and in three separate . Then Rachel told Leah, Please give me your sons mandrakes., 15 In response, Leah asked her, Wasnt it enough that youve taken away my husband? Religion. Leah also bore Jacob a daughter called Dinah. These were the 12 sons of Jacob, a.k.a. 9. In the Genesis narrative, as each son is born, we learn not only their name but also the significance of the name to Rachel or Leah ( Genesis 29:32-35, Genesis 30:1-24, Genesis 35:18 ). He was the founder of the Israelite Tribe of Reuben. Simeon means "to HEAR.". Judah Asher - Happiness. I wait for yoursalvation,OLORD (Dans tribe indeed judged, but were not known for their moral standing nor religious righteousness). The order of the stones presumably represented the order of the birth of the sons of Jacob. God spoke to Rebekah and told her that the older twin (Esau) would serve the younger (Jacob). Benjamin was born to his wife Rachel later, Genesis 35:16-26. Do Not Give Animals In Zoos Jelly Beans. But because He chose it, we can refer to itin all likelihoodas a covenantal number. Simeon In the event column, "b." means birth, "c." means circumcised (one week later), and "md." means married. In Genesis 28:1-5, we learn the beginning of Jacobs history apart from his parents as they send him to Padam-aram to his maternal uncle, Laban to settle and find a wife. Instead of a single tribe in Josephs name, his two sons Ephraim and Manasseh each inherited their own tribe (Genesis 48; Joshua 14:4; Ezekiel 47:13). Jacob put Ephraim the younger ahead of Manasseh the . "I want a blessing from the Rebbe! More Mnemonics for Bible. The names of the 12 sons of Israel attached to the gates of Jerusalem in Ezekiel 48 are those of the patriarchs at their birth, and as inscribed on the stones of the Breastplate. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. For New Testament believers, this is picture of the Church that perseveres and is able to bear fruit despite the struggles they encounter when they are hated by the world because they do not conform to it, but conform to Jesus. Jacob also bestowed upon Joseph the richest prophecy of all his sons. 1. In Genesis 29:31-30:24 the birth of twelve of Jacob's children is recorded. Jacob fell in love with Laban's younger daughter, Rachel, Laban had him work for seven years, but then tricked him into marrying him to his older daughter, Leah. She can bear children on my knees so I can have children through her.. 2) Simeon was next, and he was also a son of Leah. <> For New Testament believers, this is picture of the Church defeating its enemies and the humble inheriting the earth. (Leah)dwelling Sons Of Jacob. Some of these boys were their literal children, and . Jacob, as he was about to die, blessed Joseph's two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim. Both sons were set apart because of their faithful and righteous acts before the Lord. 11.Joseph - Add to my family. Her birth occurred about 22:54 AM (1750 BC). When the brothers heard the father begging Jacob to give her to Shechem for a wife, they were very angry, and came up with a plan. Genesis 49:1-28. All Rights and to him will belong the allegiance of nations. Zilpah bore Jacob his seventh and eighth sons, Gad and Asher. This is also evidenced in later Scripture during Davids struggle against Saul (1 Chronicles 12:32). I traded my sons mandrakes for you! So he slept with her that night. Joseph (Joseph means May he addand sounds like the Hebrew taken away) received the lengthiest blessing from his father (Joseph was his favorite). This blessing includes the prophecy about Jesus being born through Judahs line. For further reading about Jacobs sons and Israel, check out Emma Danzeys What Are Each of the 12 Tribes Known For? Moses' prophesy about the Danites refers to future idolatry and departure from God when he mentions Bashan. 4 0 obj How many judgmental - holier than thou - Christians have you seen in church? Who Are the Sons of Jacob and Why Is it Important That There Are 12 of Them? Samson is known to come from the line of Dan. The important thing is its easy to remember, when we read the number 12 in the notable passages, that its of Godand not of man. 32 Leah conceived, bore a son, and named him Reuben, because she was saying, The LORD had looked on my torture, so now my husband will love me.. Judah means "Praise". I will give all these lands and will confirm the oath I swore to your father Abraham. Jacob. 6. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring (Genesis 28:14). The closest we get is Revelation 13:8, which says the number of man is 666. Through the 12 sons of Jacob, that promise became a reality. Since ancient times, philosophers and religions have tried to solve this apparently complicated and unsolvable mystery, but failed. (Rachel)son of the right hand. The great love of Jacob's life was Rachel, Laban's younger daughter and his favorite son was Joseph, Rachel's first born son. . Gad - Good fortune. The 12 sons of Jacob are the patriarchs of the 12 Tribes of Israel. Issachar - Reward. The 12 Tribes of Israel descended from the patriarch Jacob, son of Isaac and grandson of Abraham, who was renamed Israel and gave his name to the nation.. Jacob's 12 sons in order of birth are: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph and Benjamin.. Another well-accepted meaning of his name is a deceiver. x\m6} How should Christians Prepare for Food Shortage following Noah's and Joseph's example? 23 Leahs sons were Reuben (Jacobs first-born), Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, and Zebulun. Issacharson of Leah; means hire, wage, reward; four sons; Jacob's deathbed blessinga strong ass, saw a resting place that's good and land that is pleasant and became a servant under the taskwork. 49:1 After this, Jacob called his sons together and told them, Assemble yourselves around me so I can tell you all what is going to happen to you in the last days. Chapter 49 of Genesis opens with Jacob, renamed Israel after he wrestled with God in Gen 32:28, on his deathbed. Jacob married the two daughters of Laban and also had children by two of their maids yielding 12 sons and a daughter. More information . That order would later be significant in God's design for the breastplate of judgment for the high priests of Israel. 17 While she was suffering due to her difficult labor, the midwife told her, Dont fear! %PDF-1.3 As related in the Book of Bereshit (Genesis), [2] the twelve sons of Jacob were born from four different wives and are divided into three general categories: a) The six sons of Leah -- Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, and Zebulun.. b) The two sons of Rachel, Jacob's primary wife and "the mainstay of the house" of Israel [3]-- Joseph and Benyamin.. c) The four sons of the two . 3 0 obj . 30-50). Here is a table of the proposed birth dates for the twelve sons of Jacob, as well as some other related events, such as the births of Leah and Rachel. The sons by . of birth; the accompanying numbers denote their overall birth order within Jacob's family: T ABLE 1. Joseph's two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim, who were adopted by Jacob, became the Patriarchs of two tribes (Genesis 48:5-6). Jacob had twelve sons through four women, his wives, Leah and Rachel, and his concubines, Bilhah and Zilpah, who were, in order of their birth, Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, and Benjamin, all of whom became the heads of their own family groups, later known as the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Matthew 6:20 - "Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven", Matthew 13:44 - "The Kingdom of Heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.". And, of course, the most famous story of Josephs brothers selling him to slave traders, and then telling their dad he died. But the window of opportunity for making the decision to do so and to produce and open the exhibition . Jacob's 12 sons (order of birth) Leah Rachel Zilpah Leah's maid Bilhah Rachel's maid 1. (Mother)Name Means Turbulent as the waters, you will no longer excel, for you went up onto your fathers bed, onto my couch and defiled it(Genesis 49:3-4). Genesis 29:31-30:24 and 35:16-26. 3. Naturally, one would assume that the next in line would be Simeon, the second-oldest. 12 MOTHER SON BIRTH ORDER REFERENCE OF BIRTH SYMBOL OF BLESSING ORDER OF BLESSING REFERENCE OF BLESSING LEAH BILHAH . In birth order they were: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah. 9 When Leah saw that she had stopped bearing children, she took her woman servant Zilpah and gave her to Jacob as a wife. released through Familius Publishing in 2020. Jacob said that Joseph's blessings would surpass those of his forefathers because of his faithfulness to God. 17 God heard what Leah had said, so she conceived and bore a fifth son for Jacob. (Leah)God hears The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor the rulers staff from between his feet, until tribute comes to him; and to him shall be the obedience of the peoples. A fruitful vine - the Rock of Israel - Leader of Israel. 33 Later, she conceived again, bore a son, and declared, Because the LORD heard that Im neglected, he gave me this one, too. So she named him Simeon. This is the way Jacob's family life appeared. Joseph and Benjamin: Finally, after many years of infertility God opened Rachels womb and she bore Joseph, then Benjamin. Clarence L. Haynes Jr. explains, The tribe of Levi, or the Levites, became the tribe that carried the priestly line. He was the son of Leah, Jacobs first wife. For in their anger they killed men, and in their willfulness they hamstrung oxen. 10.Zebulun - Honour. One must apply solid hermeneutical methods (hermeneutics is principles of proper biblical interpretation) when looking at Scripture. As we read about the tribes of Israel in Scripture, Gods redemptive plan for His people is shown through the complicated lives of each of these men of promise. Sons of Bilhah (Rachel's servant) - Dan, Naphtali; Sons of Zilpah (Leah's servant . Does the Bible Mention What to Give Up for Lent? To Joseph, Jacob said that he would always be spiritually fruitful. Day Three - Part 31. He was the second of the twin sons born to Rebekah and Issac . Asher 6. 3. Jacob spoke to Dan (Dan sounds like the Hebrew word, judged) Danshalljudgehispeople as one ofthetribesofIsrael.Danshallbeaserpentintheway, aviperbythepath, that bites the horsesheels sothathisriderfallsbackward. There are several stories from these sons that read like a soap opera. For example: Reuben, slept with Bilhah (Jacobs concubine)(Gen 35:22)(Gen 49:3-4), the mother of his two brothers Dan and Naphtali (Gen 30:3-8)(Gen 35:25). <>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 612 792] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> 13 She said, How happy I am, because women will call me happy! So she named him Asher. From them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised! Just Who Were the 12 Tribes of Israel and What Happened to Them? ConformingToJesus Ministry - Copyright 2014-2023. Jacobs proclamation against the violence his two sons had perpetuated came in the form of his prophecy against them at the end of his life. Although Judah did participate in the collective plot to get rid of Joseph, he convinced his brothers that they should not kill him (Genesis 37). Annette Marie Griffin is an award-winning author and speaker who has managed and directed childrens and youth programs for more than 20 years. Jacob blesses his twelve sons just before he dies. In the Song of Deborah (Judges 5:17), the tribe of Asher is one of the two tribes of Israel, the other being the Danites, associated with seafaring and, by implication, sea commerce. There is history of cruelty by his brothers and captors andprophecy in this blessing). 10. What is the Biblical End of the Age? Since this is a rare chapter that deals with all 12 tribes concisely, I thought we would take advantage and have a quick study of the 12 . Abraham had one wife, and then only took a concubine when she was still barren at 80; he took a second wife only after the death of his first. However, out of Gods grace and providence, Levis descendants were set apart unto the Lord and became the tribe best known for their spiritual service. Charles L. Zimmerman Pastor Evangelical Church Archbold, Ohio In Genesis 29:31-30:24 the birth of twelve of Jacobs children is recorded. What is an example of a non experimental design? Genesis 35:16-26, Jacob dreams about a ladder and angels at Bethel, Jacob marries Rachel the daughter of Laban, The Cup that held the wine for the King of Egypt, Josephs brothers first trip to Egypt for food, A silver cup belonging to Joseph was put in a Sack, 12 sons of Jacob whom he blesses before he dies, Death of Jacob at one hundred and forty-seven years old, Death of Joseph at one hundred and ten years old, Timeline for the book of Genesis parts one and two .