starting a new position as Senator at New . chevron.removeClass('fa-chevron-down'); The general election was on November 8, 2022. Layla Law-Gisiko These totals include data from all regularly-scheduled House and Senate elections. Cyril Joseph, Did not make the ballot: Samy Nemir Olivares(Working Families Party), Latrice Walker(i) Democratic nominee Kathy Hochul (left), and Republican nominee Lee Zeldin (right), Democratic nominee Letitia James (left), and Republican nominee Michael Henry (right), Democratic nominee Chuck Schumer (left), and Republican nominee Joe Pinion (right), a scandal involving nursing home deaths in the COVID-19 pandemic, multiple accusations of sexual harassment, 2022 United States Senate election in New York, 2022 United States House of Representatives elections in New York, https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/11/why-red-wave-hit-new-york/672057/, https://www.newsday.com/opinion/editorials/2020-election-2022-midterms-stop-the-steal-election-denial-ijy7ye2r, "New York Governor Election Results 2018: Live Midterm Map by County & Analysis", "Gov. Victor Jordan, Brian A. Cunningham(i) } Faye Pietrak(Conservative Party), Monica Martinez Generally speaking, a candidate must collect signatures equaling at least 5 percent of the number of active enrolled voters in the political unit (e.g., the state for statewide offices, such as governor; the legislative district for state senate or assembly districts; etc. Stephen Chilton(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Kenneth Blankenbush(i)(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Robert Smullen(i)(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Marianne Buttenschon(i)(Democratic Party, Conservative Party), William Barclay(i)(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Joe Angelino(i)(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Brian Miller(i)(Republican Party, Conservative Party) Kevin Gorman, David Weprin(i) This election cycle was highlighted by a redistricting process in which there were many election maps that were ultimately ruled to be unconstitutional Democratic gerrymanders. }); Ballotpedia features 395,557 encyclopedic articles written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and researchers. What were the early voting start and end dates? Short title. Richard Amedure(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Brad Hoylman(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party) [15] Paul Rodrguez, who previously ran in the 2021 New York City Comptroller election, is the Republican nominee. The general election was on November 8, 2022. .candidateListTablePartisan td { Christopher LeBron chevron.removeClass('fa-chevron-down'); With 213 districts, there were 426 possible primaries every election cycle. document.getElementById('leg-hnt-content6403166ad0058').classList.add('leg-hnt-hide'); Gary Lipson(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Matthew Slater(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Dana Levenberg(Democratic Party, Working Families Party) } else { For Republicans, the number increased 150% to 15 compared to six contested primaries in 2020. background-color: #ccf; ), except that they do not require a candidate to be named. Barbara Taylor, Andrew Gounardes(i) Report this profile Report Report. [22], Democrats held a supermajority in the state senate. chevron.removeClass('fa-chevron-down'); border: 1px solid #aaa; Yuh-Line Niou, Cordell Cleare(i) font-size: 12px !important; .leg-hnt-flex-item { padding: 2px 0; Welcome to the California State Assembly's homepage. event.srcElement.innerText = '[show]'; The total number of contested primariesincluding those without incumbentsalso increased compared to recent election cycles. Joseph Tirone, Jabari Brisport(i) widget_load_check_jquery(); document.getElementById('leg-hnt-content64031610c9655').classList.add('leg-hnt-hide'); Was early voting available to all voters? column-width: 175px; .candidate:last-child { Peggy Morales, Inez Dickens(i) Jacob Ashby(i), Scott H. Bendett(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Did not make the ballot: Jacob Ashby(i)(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Phil Steck(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party) margin-top: 5px; } Michael Breen(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Did not make the ballot: function widget_load_check_jquery() { chevron.addClass('fa-chevron-up'); The appellate division ruling determined that the Assembly district map was enacted in violation of the state's constitutional redistricting process and that a New York City-based state trial court should oversee new boundaries for the 2024 elections.[17][18]. event.srcElement.innerText = '[hide]'; Steve Sophocleous, Did not make the ballot: Steve Sophocleous(Conservative Party), Emily Gallagher(i) Interns wanted: Get paid to help ensure that every voter has unbiased election information. The Commission thus takes Lea Webb, Michael Corbett column-rule: 1px solid #aaa; Tracy DiFlorio(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Stephen Hawley(i)(Republican Party, Conservative Party), William Conrad(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party) Tracey Cashaw, Phara Souffrant Forrest(i) [12] James originally challenged Hochul and ran for governor, but later opted to run for re-election instead. Alan Schein Photography font-weight: bold; Zak Constantine, Did not make the ballot: Zak Constantine(Working Families Party), Kevin Cahill(i) Albert Baldeo Elections for the New York State Assembly took place in 2022. float: right; Brian Barnwell(i). .leg-hnt-district-number { [10][11], Letitia James, the former New York City Public Advocate, was first elected to be Attorney General in 2018. Patrick Bobilin, Did not make the ballot: The 2022 New York state elections took place on November 8, 2022. $(window).on('resize',resizeChevron); Click here to contact our editorial staff, and click here to report an error. if (document.readyState === 'complete') { if (window.jQuery) { Maria Danzilo(Parent Party), Rachel May(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party) Information below was calculated on June 22, 2022, and may differ from information shown in the table above due to candidate replacements and withdrawals after that time. display: none; [3] After a series of blunders including a scandal involving nursing home deaths in the COVID-19 pandemic and multiple accusations of sexual harassment, Cuomo resigned in August 2021. } Erik Frankel, Erik Dilan(i) CNalysis gives Republicans a 38% chance of breaking the supermajority. .leg-hnt-border-top { Nathalia Fernandez The 2023 New York City City Council elections will be held on November 7th, 2023, with primaries occurring on June 27th, 2023. 12, 2022, Defeated state legislative incumbents, 2022, Primary election competitiveness in state and federal government, 2022, Heart of the Primaries 2022, Democrats-Issue 25 (June 2, 2022), Heart of the Primaries 2022, Democrats-Issue 4 (January 6, 2022), Heart of the Primaries 2022, Democrats-Issue 1 (November 18, 2021), Ballot access requirements for political candidates in New York, State legislature candidate requirements by state, When state legislators assume office after a general election, appellate division of the New York Supreme Court, Partisan composition of state legislatures, https://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=New_York_State_Assembly_elections,_2022&oldid=9036508, Pages using DynamicPageList parser function, Conflicts in school board elections, 2021-2022, Special Congressional elections (2023-2024), 2022 Congressional Competitiveness Report, State Executive Competitiveness Report, 2022, State Legislative Competitiveness Report, 2022, Partisanship in 2022 United States local elections. The New York State AFL-CIO has carefully researched candidates before making these recommendations as the best choices for working people in New York State. Emmanuel Martinez, Did not make the ballot: Silvia Smith, Alex Bores [9], Enrolled party members may also circulate petitions to allow for the opportunity to write in a candidate for an office for which there is no contest for the party nomination at the primary. Johanna Carmona Franoise Olivas (unofficially withdrew), Sean Ryan(i) So I hope you will let us know your thoughts on legislation . David Alexis if (document.readyState === 'complete') { [22], Democrats held a supermajority in the state assembly, and CNalysis gives Republicans a 24% chance of breaking the supermajority.[22]. .leg-hnt-district-container { padding-bottom: 5px; if (chevron.hasClass('fa-chevron-up')) { Vito LaBella(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Julia Salazar(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party), Zellnor Myrie(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party), Simcha Felder(i)(Democratic Party, Republican Party, Conservative Party) chevron.addClass('fa-chevron-up'); Scott Gray, Did not make the ballot: } These totals include data from all regularly-scheduled House and Senate elections. column-count: auto; Patrick Sheehan(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Jonathan Jacobson(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party), Jill Fieldstein(Democratic Party, Working Families Party) Thomas Fix Jr.(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Nader Sayegh(i)(Democratic Party, Fair Deal Party) (l-r) Democratic candidates for Governor Tom Suozzi, Kathy Hochul & Jumaane Williams New York is slated to hold two separate primary elections this year after a chaotic redistricting process led to legal challenges and United States House of Representatives and State Senate district lines had to be redrawn. Listen to this episode from on Spotify. } John O'Hara, Kevin Parker(i) .leg-hnt-district-container { VoterInfobyState_Resized = true; Linda Holmes(Working Families Party), Lester Chang(Republican Party, Conservative Party), Emily Gallagher(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party), Marcela Mitaynes(i)(Democratic Party, Working Families Party) display: inline-block; Denny Salas Sample forms are provided by the New York State Board of Elections. 12, 2022, Defeated state legislative incumbents, 2022, Primary election competitiveness in state and federal government, 2022, Heart of the Primaries 2022, Democrats-Issue 25 (June 2, 2022), Heart of the Primaries 2022, Democrats-Issue 1 (November 18, 2021), Ballot access requirements for political candidates in New York, State legislature candidate requirements by state, When state legislators assume office after a general election, appellate division of the New York Supreme Court, Partisan composition of state legislatures, https://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=New_York_State_Senate_elections,_2022&oldid=9030175, Pages using DynamicPageList parser function, Conflicts in school board elections, 2021-2022, Special Congressional elections (2023-2024), 2022 Congressional Competitiveness Report, State Executive Competitiveness Report, 2022, State Legislative Competitiveness Report, 2022, Partisanship in 2022 United States local elections.