But lets focus on steel pennies. (The coin also didnt work well with existing vending machines.). This paved the way for an emergency composition for the one-cent coin as well. }, 1909 S VDB Penny (Shop eBay) Lincoln Penny Errors (Shop eBay) Walking Liberty Half Dollar (Shop eBay). Others blasted the coins for their tendency to quickly rust once the outer zinc coating wore off the coin, exposing the steel core. That common misperception likely stems from the popularity of the well-known 1943 bronze cents. Required fields are marked *. 1943 P D S Wheat head Lincoln 3 Penny Set. She explained that she had shown the coin to another local dealer who said the coin was probably not real and who offered to buy it for a token amount as a curiosity. Since the coins were coated before minting, their edges quickly rusted in peoples hands. The publics rejection of the 1943 Steel Lincoln Penny. Free shipping. Only a couple dozen pieces were made and exist today, and each is worth about $100,000. The "D" mint mark on the coin indicates that it was minted in Denver. USA Coin Book Estimated Value of 1943-D Lincoln Wheat Penny (Steel Cent Variety) is Worth $0.33 in Average Condition and can be Worth $3.30 to $11 or more in Uncirculated (MS+) Mint Condition. More to explore : Very few known specimens remain and its value, independently of the graduation, is of several hundreds of thousands of dollars. In MS 66, one of these 1944 S Steel Pennies sold for over $370,000. I found a 1944 d silver penny its in good condition try to see how much there worth. Its thought that up to two dozen copies of the 1944 steel penny exist, but how was it made in the first place? 93 sold. *by JM Bullion 1943 D Penny Value In 1943, 217,660,000 pennies came out from the Denver mint. Even though the United States Mint switched pennies from a steel composition to copper in 1944, some steel planchets were left behind in the presses, presumably by accident. Thus, 1944 steel cents are exceptionally scarce and command very high values. I have a 1944 D penny which appears to be steel plus something else but does not stick to a magnet. In 1943, almost 1.1B steel pennies were coined, but in 1944, less than 40 steel pennies were released from all three mints combined. The 1964-D is common in circulated grades up to MS64. They range substantially in grade and have sold for sums that vary from $7700 for an AU coin in 1996 to $115,000 for the finest quality example, an MS63 that sold at auction in 2007. Also standard to these coins, the 1964 penny has a diameter of 19mm and a mass of 3.11 grams. This penny has visible doubling on the front of the coin. This widely collected variety is worth more than $100 in Extremely Fine-40 and upward of $400 in Mint State-63. How much a steel penny is worth is very dependent on the condition of the coin. please explain? Both the obverse and the reverse were designed by Victor David Brenner. POP TIL YOU DROP WATER DOWN SAY GOODBYE SO LONG Six discontinued frozen foods from Trader Joe's you'll never see again Year: 1964 Mint: D Type: Jefferson Nickel "acceptedAnswer": { Hi Kelli. The Official Red book: A Guide Book of United States Coins. You can also tell its a fake by simply looking at it. In EF 40, thats about $30,000, but in MS 60, the price jumps closer to $60,000. Steel Wheat Pennies were minted in 1943 and 1944. 75,789, 84,211 However, the government decided to drop steel cents by the end of 1943. A 1944 D Steel Penny in AU 53 sold for over $37,000. Please Contact me Im trying to Sale. I have a 1944 steel penny,that I got from my dad 25 years ago.who do I need to talk to about this? In July an AU example garnered $23,000, and an AU-53 coin sold last January for $37,375. Penny 1953-1964 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964 bronze 19.10 mm., 3.24 g. 1 CENT / 1964 / CANADA / two maple leaves ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA / Queen's head right KM#49 Coin value in UNC - $0.50-1.0 Penny 1965-1977 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977 bronze . So many 1964 Kennedy half dollars were made and saved the value is just for the silver, about $5.00 What is the value of a 1964 US cent with out a. The Buffalo Nickels is the king of kings in natural beauty and is one of the prettiest U.S. coins ever struck. Listen to this post about the 1943 steel penny or keep reading below: The steel penny may seem like a random anomaly to some. Extremely rare ones like the 1964 SMS penny can fetch thousands of dollars if you find one. Confusing which is which between the two years could cost you dearly in your coin collection. Prices based off high end conditions that have been certified. Only a handful of 1944 steel pennies were minted, which explains their pricing. In MS67 it is one of the tougher dates from the 1960's especially from the Denver Mint. It is relatively easy to know if your coin has a high value. Zinc-coated steel is an unstable alloy, and many of the coins suffer from some form of damage or rusting. "@type": "Answer", He collects U.S. and European coins and is a member of the ANA, PCGS, NGC, and CAC. 1962 D US One Cent - $4,000 United States Penny sold at auction DC Coin World 84.9K subscribers Subscribe 557 40K views 3 years ago In this video we look at the 1962 D US One Cent. Hi I have a 1944 Steele penny how can I sell it, I have several wheat pennies. Sale Price 26,000 If so please share it with your friends and help us grow. Believe it or not I was going through a lot of 350 wheat pennies. A copy of the 1944 Lincoln Steel Penny MS64 was auctioned off in 2013 for a price of $158,625. any advice you could help me with would be nice ,also accouple of 82 small date . Known errors. These sales are of course few and far between, so a more reasonable expectation is somewhere around the $225 to $275 USD mark. The consequences were that on many occasions, merchants lost 9 cents in change.Another reason for the rejection of the 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny was that the zinc oxidized quickly, leaving the coin dark gray and almost black. Steve Estes (http://www.steveestes.com) is a Portland, Oregon dealer who has in been in business since 1963, and who specializes in classic American coins, especially Morgan and Peace dollars. Rob Paulsen Coin 1944 Steel Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, S and No Mint Mark). The 9 was bigger than the other numbers on that issue. In addition to the weight, another feature that differentiated the 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny from the previous Lincoln Penny was its reaction to a magnet, since it had a high percentage of steel that used to stick. Free shipping. The 1964 D Penny is a coin minted by the United States Mint in Denver. Top-level specimens in grades of Mint State-67 or better can go for much more, sometimes hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Read the article about left over material etc. I have a 1943 steel wheat penny that Id like to check the value on. You need to post photos, and it would be best to start your own thread. There are instances of MS-65 Full 5 Step versions of the 1964 D Nickel selling for more than $500 at auction. 1964-D penny (Denver mintmark under the date) - 3,799,071,500 (about 3.8 billion) minted; 10 to 25+ cents 1964 proof penny - 3,950,762 minted; $1+ 1964 SMS penny (special mint set) - approximately 30 estimated to be minted; $5,000+ *Values are for coins in uncirculated grade, proof finish, and special mint set finish. Features such as its condition, grade, and patina make it a highly sought-after piece by coin collectors. JBCOINSINC 200K views 3 years ago 5 modern Lincoln cents worth over $1,000 that can be found in pocket change! Coin Value Chart: Typical Coin Prices, Values and Worth in USD based on Grade/Condition. PRO-TIP: The 100% best way to check the latest values of the 1944 . Often they are reprocessed (stripped and recoated) pieces assembled in plastic display cases. Their rarity is one reason theyre so expensive, but its also down to the coins composition. ", Last month,a rare 25 cent error coin sold for $599- and you could find a similar one in your spare change too. we have around 6,000 pennies. These coins had some problems though. "acceptedAnswer": { If you are fortunate enough to live near an expert dealer, try to get to know them and you will learn a lot of useful information that will help you get more out of the hobby of kings, or as others put it, the worlds greatest hobby. Ron Guth: A great coin with a great story behind it and the documentation to prove it.. At the same time, residents were feeling the economic pinch, so they hoarded specie coins (gold and silver), melting them for bullion. Hence, these are relatively common coins and are worth relatively little collector value in circulated grades. Start by weighing the coin. Have a rare coin but are unable to ID it? Lets dig deeper to mine the precious secrets of 1944 Steel Penny Value. One thousand nine hundred forty-four steel pennies weigh 2.7 grams, compared to 3.11 grams found with the ordinary copper coin. I just submitted to Great Collections a 1943 steel penny. Interestingly, some 1943 steel cents were actually tin cents and had no iron in them. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. The 1943 steel cent was produced during the height of World War II. Here you can see 2020 prices in different grades: It is not difficult to find the 1943 Denver Lincoln Steel Penny in medium or even high qualities. During the war years (1944 to 1945), copper, tin, and nickel were required for weapons and military equipment. As it was produced in error, theres only one mint type for the 1944 Steel Penny. Coin errors can be spotted at the mint, at the bank, or by the public. Since the main material that made up the coin was steel, new dies had to be used and changed from time to time because the hardness of the steel soon wore them out. On its back are two wheat leaves, appearing on either side of the central legend which became known as the wheat penny. The 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny was cast at three mints: Philadelphia (no mint mark), Denver (D) and San Francisco (S). Theres only one mint type for the 1944 Steel Penny. 1943 S minted uncirculated steel penny can be worth $16k but values are dropping. Please email value@coinvalueinvestor.com to receive an estimated price. Tons of 1999 Pennies With AM large. In 1943 U.S. Mint produced the penny out of zinc plated steel to save copper for the war effort, so most 1943 pennies are silver colored. So if you want to be sure your 1944 wheat penny is steel, test it with a magnet. Due to its high economic value, it is a type of variant that is very falsified either by the copper plating of a 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny or by modifying the dates of the 1945, 1948 and 1949 Lincoln Pennies for the rarer date of 1943.For the first counterfeit (copper coating) a simple magnet will be enough to detect it since the 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny will attract to the magnet. In 2021 it was updated taking a more modern approach to things. 1944 S Steel Pennies are the rarest of the bunch, with only 2 known copies. The most valuable coins are usually those with a low mintage or an error, as they're deemed the most valuable by collectors. Another important quality is the date - only 1964 pennies can be part of this unique group. Its why some people speculate that those 30 to 40 planchets were accidentally forgotten in the machinery. 1994 Steel Penny Investment Rating: 94 out of 100. Ed. According to USA Coin Book, about 40 steel pennies were minted in 1944. I will get to it I found a 1943 steel s in mint condition, I investigated it well I know what I have but how to handle it ,I am 73 years old living a little over being poor. In 1944, the Philadelphia Mint only made 30 steel pennies. "@type": "Question", Creative Commons 3.0 no derivative works license, Most valuable rare Australian coins list and Value, Earlier this year 2022 we have seen a 1943-S Steel penny MS68 PCGS, In April 2021 a 1943 Bronze Penny MS62 Brown PCGS CAC achieved. According to a February 12, 1966 newspaper article in the San Mateo Times, in 1966 Robert Collins, a then-23 year old man from California discovered what at the time was the second-known 1944-D steel cent. 26,000, 37,143 But although they're all stamped 1964, close to 2B of these coins were produced in 1965. This steel Walker is one of two known and is graded as MS-64. The steel cents were often confused with the dime, causing some folks to lose 9 cents (or more) in a cash transaction. 1776 We Are One Continal Currancy large Coin He brought the coin to two dealers, who found no reason to doubt it, and from there it went to Walter Breen, the most prominent authenticator of the time, who pronounced it genuine.. What is the value? I have a 1943 s penny it has 2 mint marks both s cant find out anything about it help please, I have a couple 1943 steel that have the 1943 mercury dime front and back not full coin print but a lot.the marks there you can see. Wasnt sure if there is any value., also I do have a 1944 w dime (super shiney compared to other coins) I believe there is an s on the other side to small for me to read, is there any value there? The coin which Mr. Estes client brought in that received an MS61 must not have yet been added to NGCs population report. } Any value? These materials, including copper and nickel, were used for producing ammunition and artillery. Hi Judith. These coins are k Full Steps Nickels are of key importance. It weighed 3.11g instead of the expected 2.7g. PRO-TIP: The 100% best way to check the latest values of the 1944 Steel Penny is to visit the eBay Rare Coins page and search for recently sold 1944 Steel Pennies via the advanced search. Etsy is powered by 100% renewable electricity. But starting in 1942, experimental coins were being developed to save on war metals. San Francisco was the mint with the lowest number of units produced of the 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny, over 190,000,000. In 1943, all pennies were meant to be zinc-coated steel. Refer to the images to correctly identify the variety of your coin. The 1944 steel penny is a mistake, but its a wonderful one, and the reason for its existence in history is vital for the U.S. and the world itself. The coin is 19.05mm in diameter and 1.5mm thick. - eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in a new window or tab, - for PayPal Credit, opens in a new window or tab, Report this item - opens in new window or tab, Great seller never had a promblem getting my order thank u, 1955 D Lincoln Wheat Cent/ Penny (#255987058480), 1912-P LINCOLN WHEAT CENT / PENNY (#255984321193), 1943 D Lincoln Wheat Cent/ Penny ** ww2 steel war Cent * (#255985247490). The 2 I have no mint brown in color and weighs 2.7 grams. Earlier sources listed all the 1944 steel cents as errors because the pennies were intended to return to their 95% copper content that year. Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. The tails side (reverse) has changed at least four times, but the heads side (obverse) honored Lincoln since 1909. I do have a whole lot more wheat pennies dated back to 1918. The obverse (heads side) of the 1944 Steel Penny has a portrait of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States. 1978. 1776 Continental Dollar Offered by David Lawrence Rare Coins, Grade This 1936-S Cincinnati Commemorative Silver Half Dollar, Big Things Happened at the United States Mint in March, Jeff Garrett: The Box of Twenty Approach to Coin Collecting, Roger Burdette: First 1878-S Morgan Silver Dollars Struck, 2023 Congratulations Set With Silver Eagle Proof on Sale March 2, Stacks Bowers to Offer 1796 LIKERTY Half Dime in MS-63. 1943 saw a switch to a zinc-coated steel composition to help save copper for World War II ammunition, although the coin confused many people, as it was regularly mistaken for a dime. In low grades, a 1943 or 1944 penny is only worth its face value. Your email address will not be published. i came across a what i thought was just a token but after intensive research,it comes to be a 1785 bar cent,please advise me how to get it authenicated and graded.thanks kenneth. Does anyone think the mint will change the composition of the penny again? The maximum price achieved for a piece of this year and mint was $6,000, in August of this year 2020. According to PCGS, a coin classified as MS68 SMS is worth a staggering $27,500. So the one that is worth so much, does it have to stick to be the real deal? The mintage year appears above the mint mark. Steel pennies have iron in them. Given their novelty, they also make great gifts. If you do have one, it would be worth tens of thousands of dollars. $6.99. Refresh your browser window to try again. Incidentally, we refer to them as pennies instead of cents because thats what 1-cent coins are called in the United Kingdom. Le sugiero que consulte el libro rojo de Whitman. A coin in average condition has an estimated value of at least $77,000. In MS 66, one of these 1944 S Steel Pennies sold for over $370,000. Great! Check to see if it falls into one of the categories on this list. Their steel counterparts are much more common. Not sure if its worth something. One is a 1944 penny that in the yr the 9 is bigger then the other numbers. This rare variant of the 1943 Philadelphia Lincoln Steel Penny consists of a double coinage on the back.The highest value obtained for this variant was $2,150 in 02/2020 for a piece in MS67 quality. steel weight 2.7 grams 82s 3.1.   Japan   |   English (US)   |   (JPY), remembering account, browser, and regional preferences, remembering privacy and security settings, personalized search, content, and recommendations, helping sellers understand their audience, showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy. Likely, a few steel planchets (a plain metal disc used to create a coin) were leftover from 43, when steel could be used instead of cash. No copyright infringement is intended. It seems to be steel under and looks nice. "name": " Why is the 1944 penny rare? Do you have a 1944 Steel Penny or any rare coin but dont know the value? How do I know if my 1943 steel penny is worth money? The coin is copper and features Abraham Lincoln on the obverse side and the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse side. This unusual-looking Lincoln Wheat cent is unlike any other United States one-cent coin. 123 sold. First, weigh the coin. 1964 D Penny Value A total of 3,799,071,500 pennies carry the 1964 minting date. 1964 Penny Value and Price Chart The 1964 penny value has a minimum of $0.15 regardless of whether it carries a mint mark or not. Because copper was considered a strategic metal during World War II, there was an effort to find an alternative metal to produce pennies. THANK YOU A E Turgeon. These so-called shell case cents, struck through 1946, consist of 95% copper and 5% zinc. If you think you might have found an elusive 1944 steel penny, heres what to do. Other coins that have the same coloration include silver, nickel, tin, and zinc-laced coins. This instantly creates one of the most gorgeous, unique, and handsome rare coin in the galaxy. There are so many errors it's Jefferson Nickel struck on a Copper Penny planchet error. DDO/DDR. Their rarity is one reason they're so expensive, but it's also down to the coin's composition. One of then looks like lady liberty and Lincoln are kissing on the reverse. Iron coins react strongly and will let the magnet lift the coin. The penny was posthumously introduced to mark what would have been his 100th birthday. 1964 D Lincoln Penny Doubled Die w/ Tilted RPM! Scarcer than the 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny is the 1943 Lincoln Penny made from copper, with an unknown coinage. PCGS puts the number at seven and has only certified one example, an MS 62. , its a great choice if youre looking for a solid investment piece that will likely retain value in the long term. But in high grades, a 1944 S Steel Penny once sold for $1,110,923, so your coin could be worth a million dollars! I have a 1943 steel penny want to get it appraised. Alternatively, you could use a magnet to check out the steel content contained within. This is the rule with an exception made for wartime nickels minted from 1942-1945. To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies. When you come across a 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny, the first question that comes to mind is what was the reason for creating this type of valuable coin made of silver more like a dime than a penny. In MS 63, the highest recorded selling price was over $1.1M. Based on various factors. "name": " How do I know if my 1944 penny is steel? "@type": "Question", All News, Articles, Commentary and Opinions are contributed by the author(s), with or without compensation, who are solely responsible for the content, and do not represent CoinWeek Management. However, by altering its composition, its weight was also reduced 13%, from 3.11 grams to 2.7 grams. Graduations higher than MS67 are rarer and more highly rated. Each of the two 1944 pennies could be worth around $5 or more, depending on their condition. The 1944 Steel Penny is one of the most expensive coins in existence. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices. However, the trio of business-strike Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco 1943 Lincoln steel cents constitute a very popular one-year short set. need help identifying. The coin was slightly underweight at 2.6g instead of 2.7g. Copyright 1995-2023 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. As is the Denver minted coin with a error of 2 Ds for the mint mark . my normal scales that weigh to the milligram have been lost and I'm unsure of the others calibration although pre '82 weigh 3.1 and post 2.5. this penny weighs 2.9 consistently as I go back and forth between it 1964 and 1998 MS67 But it sure isnt your regular penny.. 1. ] One of the. Anyone know what its Worth ??? As mentioned above, 1943 copper pennies are rare and valuable. More than two billion of these bad boys were made, but the exact amount is unknown. } document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. And. note: This article is periodically updated to reflect the current price of most valuable coins. PCGS has more than 48,000 copies registered in MS60 or higher grades and halves to 24,000 copies registered in MS65 or higher grades.However, most of those registered units of 1943 D-steel pennies are in MS65 to MS67 grades. Original Price 20,000 Image: USA CoinBook. The most valuable steel penny is a 1943-D. Let me explain. AND 1893 1 OZ GOLD TWENTY. Most 1944 Wheat Pennies are bronze (95% copper), but counterfeits might be coated with nickel or zinc to mimic steel. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. There are probably more in original rolls but getting harder to find. Collectors Universe, Inc. disclaims any warranties whatsoever with respect to the accuracy of the PCGS3000 or any specific coin index. Theres only one mint type for the 1944 Steel Penny. Please include 2 photos when making a value request. in the field on the left) the word Liberty and on the right, the date and mint mark are inscribed, Denver or San Francisco. So the mint switched to steel coins for a year. Our posts do NOT contain affiliate links. Welcome to the neighborhood! To avoid this, many coins dated 1944 to 1946 were infused with copper from recycled brass shells. Reading on one site they talked about some pennies sometimes rarely missing the copper dip (error) or the coin had been plated. Numismatic collector with a passion for history, particularly Spanish history. , { Steel pennies have helped spark numismatic interests in folks who otherwise may not have become coin collectors. So those 40 or so steel pennies from 1944 ended up being quite pricy. I weighed it and it weighs 2.9 grams. Between the date and the mint mark (s) is another 4. Both are quite rare and valuable. 1944 pennies were made using the leftover steel sheets from 1943. Above the bust, you can read the legend In God We Trust, behind him (i.e. 03-22-2012 Stack's Bowers. This includes the wheat sheaves on the Wheat Penny (1909 to 1958), the Lincoln Memorial on the Memorial Penny (1959 to 2008), the four designs on the bicentennial penny (2009), and the Union Shield Penny we still use today (2010 to date). Good condition $49.00 + $4.50 shipping 1964 D Lincoln Penny RARE L Liberty on edge Error $1,800.00 + $4.70 shipping Hover to zoom Image not available Have one to sell? It will give you an idea of the amount of money that the coin is going for. 1943 Lincoln Wheat cent, steel composition. Some of these flaws are quite valuable. 2015 Australia Hammer Head Shark Silver Round Perth Mint 1/2 OZ .999 Fine. Value DONALD TRUMP "45TH PRESIDENT" COLORIZED IKE EISENHOWER $1 COIN. 1962 P very rare Lincoln Monument penny. A coin in average condition has an estimated value of at least $77,000. The most eBay can do is add a note to their account for the unpaid item or remove their ability to bid and buy. Indeed, whether collected as part of a short set or incorporated into a larger run of Lincoln cents, the 1943 steel pennies are favorites among non-numismatists and veteran coin collectors alike. Their rarity is one reason theyre so expensive, but its also down to the coins composition. Their value lies in their novelty. , we will provide the optimal coin grades when recommending an asset (i.e., MS61, MS64). Louis Golino is a coin collector and numismatic writer, whose articles on coins have appeared in Coin World, Numismatic News, and a number of different coin web sites. 1944 S Steel Penny Value 1944 S Steel Pennies are the rarest of the bunch, with only 2 known copies.